The FZ-Pedia is founded on a simple, but powerful principle: we can do more together than any of us can do alone. We cannot work collectively without gathering, sharing, and analyzing information about our users as we seek new ways to make this site more useable, safer, and more beneficial.
Because we believe that you shouldn’t have to provide personal information to participate in the free knowledge movement, you may:
- Read, edit, or use any FZ-Pedia without registering an account.
- Register for an account without providing an email address or real name.
Because we want to understand how FZ-Pedia are used so we can make them better for you, we collect some information when you:
- Make public contributions.
- Register an account or update your user page.
- Use the FZ-Pedias.
- Send us emails or participate in a survey or give feedback.
We are committed to:
- Using reasonable measures to keep your information secure.
- Never selling your information or sharing it with third parties for marketing purposes.
- Only sharing your information in limited circumstances, such as to improve the FZ-Pedias, to comply with the law, or to protect you and others.
- Retaining your data for the shortest possible time that is consistent with maintaining, understanding, and improving the FZ-Pedias, and our obligations under law.
- Any content you add or any change that you make to a FZ-Pedia will be publicly and permanently available.
- If you add content or make a change to a FZ-Pedia without logging in, that content or change will be publicly and permanently attributed to the IP address used at the time rather than a username.
- Our community of volunteer editors and contributors is a self-policing body. Certain administrators of the FZ-Pedias, who are chosen by the community, use tools that grant them limited access to nonpublic information about recent contributions so they may protect the FZ-Pedias and enforce policies.
- As part of our commitment to education and research around the world, we occasionally release public information and aggregated or non-personal information to the general public through data dumps and data sets.
The World FZO is the nonprofit organization that operates the FZ-Pedia. This Policy explains how we collect, use, and share your personal information.
- We collect very little personal information about you.
- We do not rent or sell your information to third parties.
- By using the FZ-Pedia, you consent to this Policy.
Use of Information
- Whatever you post on FZ-Pedia can be seen and used by everyone.
- You do not need to create an account to use any FZ-Pedia.
- If you do create an account, you do not need to give us your name or email address.
- If you do not create an account, your contributions will be publicly attributed to your IP address.
- We may use common technologies to collect information about how you use FZ-Pedia.
- We use this information to enhance your user experience and to develop new features.
- Like other websites, we receive some information about you automatically when you visit the FZ-Pedia. This information helps us administer the FZ-Pedia and enhance your user experience.
- We use a variety of commonly-used technologies, like cookies, to understand how you use the FZ-Pedia, make our services safer and easier to use, and to help create a better and more personalized experience for you.
- If you choose to provide your email address, we will keep it confidential, except as provided in this Policy.
- We may occasionally send you emails about important information.
- You may choose to opt out of certain kinds of notifications.
- We may ask you to provide us with information through a survey or provide feedback, but you will never be obligated to participate.
- If you consent, we can use commonly-used location technologies to show you more relevant content.
- We may automatically receive location data from your device. For example, if you upload a photo using a mobile device, please be aware that the default setting on your mobile device typically results in the metadata associated with your photo being included in the upload.
- When you visit any FZ-Pedia, we automatically receive the IP address of the device you are using to access the Internet, which can be used to infer your geographical location.
Sharing of Information
- We may share your information when you give us specific permission to do so.
- We will disclose your information in response to an official legal process only if we believe it to be legally valid. We will notify you of such requests when possible.
- We may disclose information that is reasonably necessary to enforce or investigate potential violations of Organization or community-based policies;
- protect our organization, infrastructure, employees, contractors, or the public; or prevent imminent or serious bodily harm or death to a person.
- We may disclose personal information to our third-party service providers or contractors to help run or improve the FZ-Pedia and provide services in support of our mission.
- We may give volunteer developers and researchers access to systems that contain your information to allow them to protect, develop, and contribute to the FZ-Pedia.
- We may also share non-personal or aggregated information with third parties interested in studying the FZ-Pedia.
- When we share information with third parties for these purposes, we put reasonable technical and contractual protections in place to protect your information consistent with this Policy.
- Information that you post is public and can been seen and used by everyone.
Protection of Information
We strive to protect your information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We use a variety of physical and technical measures, policies, and procedures (such as access control procedures, network firewalls, and physical security) designed to protect our systems and your personal information. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as completely secure data transmission or storage, so we can't guarantee that our security will not be breached (by technical measures or through violation of our policies and procedures).
We only keep your personal information as long as necessary to maintain, understand, and improve the FZ-Pedia or to comply with local laws.